From local Texas propane councils to major brands like Groupon, Father’s Day is a big time of year for brand activations. And if spending on the day is any indication—$16 billion this year according to the NRF—brands want to be out in front to carve out their share of the dollars.
Here’s a roundup of some of the promos from both the big and small guys.
• The Propane Council of Texas is giving away a gas grill in honor of Father’s Day. After all, the day dedicated to dads is one of the top five grilling holidays in the country. Entrants comment with their favorite foods to grill on the pinned post on the Propane Can Do That Facebook page to enter. The “Father’s Day Grill Giveaway” gave one winner a new gas grill today.
• Groupon is giving away a fully furnished man cave. The $60,000 sound isolation enclosure is the ideal place for him to catch his favorite football team or crack open a beverage. And don’t think the kids are going to get in: The 8×10 foot cave comes with a lock to ensure privacy.
“We know from past Father’s Day research that Dads want 11 hours of ‘me time’ per week, but roughly half of all Dads don’t have a man cave,” says Aaron Cooper, Groupon’s president of North America and a father of three. “Since people plan to spend more money than ever on their dads this year, we’re giving them the chance to really go over the top and then some with a space that he can call his own and set up just about anywhere in the house he sees fit.”
• Michelob ULTRA is turning turn Father’s Day Instagram posts into analog Father’s Day cards. The cards include a Drizly code for a cold beer. All posts that use #ULTRADad can be made into a card. The campaign kicked off with a partnership with The Bachelorette’s Shawn Booth, who surprised his dad with his own #ULTRADad card. Creative credits for the campaign are Laundry Service and Cycle.
• Amtrak is offering a 30 percent off flash sale heading into Father’s Day weekend. The offer runs through June 17 for nationwide travel between Aug. 1 and Nov. 7.
• American Family Insurance is celebrating dads with a new digital and social media campaign, including a 30-second spot.
“Our objective is to reinforce American Family as the protector of what matters most to dreamers,” says Kesha Bozeman, enterprise brand strategy director. “The campaign features real fathers and father figures in many diverse roles and portrays them as the ultimate protectors, which is the role we also fill as an insurance company.” The campaign was developed by creative agency Elite Media, New York and Mindshare, Chicago (media agency).
Other articles you may enjoy:
- Mr. Peanut and Dr. Ruth on Racy Video for Valentine’s Day
- Brands Put their Best Foot Forward for International Women’s Day
• Budweiser created an emotional new short film that documents heartfelt stories of three real families as they surprise their dads by officially removing the “step” from their stepfather titles.
Furthermore, Budweiser is inviting fans to tell their stories of a father who stepped up. For every comment on the film in social media, Budweiser will donate $1 to the Stepfamily Foundation, a nonprofit that supports blended families.
• Enfamil is launch its first national hotline, ENfo for Dad, for Father’s Day. The hotline is designed to provide dads with on-demand access to Enfamil experts who can help them navigate common, difficult, even embarrassing baby questions. The hotline is open from Father’s Day through through June 29, by dialing in to 1-800-BABY123 and following the prompt for ENfo for Dad.