Take a lesson from the pros: PROMO PRO Awards that is. We’re celebrating our 25th year as the most prestigious award program for promotion marketers across the globe; a venue that showcases the finest, most innovative promotion campaigns created and executed by top promotion professionals. (Enter the 2015 PRO Awards)
Here are six Big Ideas to take away from our 2014 Gold Winning Campaigns to create your own award winner:
Platinum PRO for the Best Overall Campaign: Kmart Ship My Pants from FCB Chicago
- HUMOR: You don’t have to think to hard, or say the name of the campaign very many times in a row before you get the humor behind this top winner. The strength of this campaign played out in a series of videos on YouTube, reminding the target audience that Kmart is no longer the stodgy, out-of-touch brand it once was. In just eight days the video drew more than 15 million views. (Read the case study.)
Gold PRO for Best Cause-based Campaign: #CIROCTheNewYear from Blue Flame Agency
- PARTNER WITH A CAUSE As we all know, based on real research, brands tied to a cause or charity earn more consumers’ loyalty than those that don’t. So pick a cause that’s true to your own brand, one that meshes with your mission and really makes a statement about who the brand is and what it stands for. With all this in mind, your marketing will be genuine and easily earn customers’ trust. Over the holidays, a time when people may be partying more Cîroc Ultra Premium Vodka helped to fund rides with car service Uber. (Read the case study.)
Gold PRO for Best International Campaign: Microsoft Hole in the World by Inspira Marketing Group/Interbrand
- MATCH MAKING Executing a promotion that truly shows off your brand’s position, services or products is sure to be a winner. Here’s an example: During the 2013 tour of the British & Irish Lions rugby team in Australia, Microsoft equipped cave-like holes in Cardiff, Wales, and Melbourne, Australia, with advanced Skype technology and display stages so that fans in one locale could shout “down” (or “up”) the tunnel to fans in the other location for three days leading up to the second test game in the three-test series. You have to watch the video!
Gold PRO for Best Use of Shopper Marketing: Pantene Weather Program from Arc Worldwide Chicago
- KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE (like the back of your hand) If you truly know and understand your audience— you put in the time and effort to gather every morsel of data about them—then your promotion will be relevant, valuable and engaging for that audience. Take this winning Pantene promotion. Any girl (or boy) who has ever had a bad hair day, which is most of us, knows that weather can frump up a freshly combed style in a second. In partnership with The Weather Channel, Pantene delivered to consumers a “haircast” complete with geotargeted messaging about a relevant hair-care product. (Read the case study)
Gold PRO for Best Use of Video: Test Your Cleaning Logic for Cottonelle from Tris3ct
- TAKE A RISK Stopping random people to ask them about their daily toilet tissue use certainly falls into the category of risk taking. But, for Cottonelle the plan worked. The agency and brand staged unscripted hidden-camera stunts to demonstrate instances where cleaning without moisture wasn’t effective. The result? Hysterical videos that would make anybody think about switching to Cottonelle. (Watch the video).
Gold PRO for Best Idea/Concept/Design: SXSW2013 for Samsung Mobile USA by PMK*BNC
- REWARD LOYALISTS With a renewed focus on retaining customers rather than acquiring new ones, which as we know can be an expensive proposition, brands that reward their most loyal customers are being rewarded in return themselves. This brilliant experience set up for nine days at SXSW rewarded the loyalty of existing owners of its Galaxy mobile products with a wide array of surprise-and-delight rewards. (Read the case study).